What We Migrate
All types of Public Folders (appointment, contact, journal, mail, note, task, and so on) can be migrated in case they are supported in the target tenant.
Please consider the following migration specifics:
- If the public folder with the same path already exists on the target, the source public folder will not be migrated. Check the Events tab.
- The first processed mailbox will be set as a primary for a public folder. Other mailboxes will be set as secondary public folder mailboxes.
- Send As and Send on Behalf properties will only be transferred for mail-enabled Public Folders.
- Read and unread status is not migrated.
From this dashboard you can:
- Keep track of your location within project and quickly return to the main project dashboard using breadcrumbs on the top of the pane
- View list of discovered public folders with source and target paths, and last events related to the public folder
- Quickly navigate to the event lists
- Quickly navigate to the tasks list
- Create discovery tasks and public folder migration tasks
- Export feature data into comma-separated file
- Temporarily remove public folders from the migration project
- Search public folder
- Filter public folder by status, by matching state, or by mail settings
- Delete public folder
Verify the following prerequisites before you start Public Folders migration:
- Consents for the following permissions are granted for source and target tenants. See Configuring Connectionsif you want to regrant consents for source and target tenants.
- Migration - Basic
- Mailbox Migration
- Target temporary Migration Manager account has Owner permission to the target public folder root.
- It is highly recommended to match / migrate all accounts in the corresponding migration project to ensure that e folder permissions and account related mail settings will be migrated.
Discovering Public Folders
Before proceeding with the migration, retrieve the list of public folders from the source tenant.
TIP: If you want to re-discover the public folders, simply rerun the existing discovery task.
To create a new discovery task
- Go to the migration project Dashboard in case you use new migration UI. In case you are using classic experience or you are already on the public folder migration Dashboard, go to step 3.
- Click Public Folders widget.
- Click Discover Public Folders on the Dashboard.
- Schedule when the task will be started. See for details. Click Next to view the task summary.
- Check scheduled start of the task and name the task. Click Finish to save or start the task depending on schedule option selected.
TIP: Give informative names for the tasks. It will greatly simplify the project management and event filtering in the future.
- Click Finish. You can monitor the task status using task widget on project dashboard.
- Click the task name on the widget to see the details or use Show all link.
Once the discovery task is complete, you will see the source domain’s public folder summary on the Public Folders Migration Project Dashboard.
Caution: Don’t start the migration before the discovery task is finished. It might result in incorrect processing of migrated objects.