After you have connected to your source and target email services, imported the mailboxes you want to migrate, and optionally, selected what mailbox items to exclude from the migration, you are ready to run the migration.
Caution: Before starting a migration, be aware of the following:
Each mailbox in a source email service can be migrated successfully a total of 10 times with a maximum extraction limit of 500 GB across all migrations. This includes mailboxes that have 10 different date filters. This limit applies even if the 10 migrations do not migrate the same message more than once.
Note: Migration from Microsoft 365 to Microsoft 365
If you switch your source domain and MX record to the target domain before the migration is completed, ODME cannot connect to the source mailboxes using old SMTP addresses, and so you need to add mailbox pairs with the new source SMTP addresses to the migration plan. In this case, an additional ODME license is consumed for each newly added mailbox pair except the following scenario:
In this scenario, an extra-license will not be consumed on the step 3 despite the change of the source user SMTP address.
To run a migration:
- Open the Dashboard and select the migration plan you want to run.
- Open the Migrate tab.
The Migrate tab lists all the mailboxes that have been imported (up to 5000).
- Optionally, make any changes to the migration settings as summarized in the in Dashboard or in the Migration Checklist of the Migrate tab.
The migration plans in the Dashboard and the Migration Checklist in the Migrate tab display links pointing to the Connections, Mailboxes and Options tabs. Click a link to return to the tab and make the changes you want.
Note: The Migration Checklist displays the IP addresses of the ODME web services used to run the migration (which are distinct from the web services used to validate connections to the source and target email services). The system administrator should verify that no firewall rules exist that will prevent the ODME web services identified by the IP addresses from running a migration.
- Click Start Migration.
During the migration, each mailbox displays what percentage of the mailbox has been migrated. At the bottom a colored progress bar indicates the overall status of the migration.
When the migration is complete, the number of mailboxes that were successfully migrated and the number that were interrupted or failed to migrate are displayed in the Migration Status section
For each mailbox, ODME also displays:
- The number of errors encountered during the migration
Note: The number of errors reported for a mailbox's migration displayed in the Migrate tab may be lower than the number of error messages reported in the mailbox's migration logs. This is because certain errors counted in a mailbox's migration may be the result of several related errors reported in the migration logs. For example, ODME may fail to migrate a mailbox item for a combination of reasons, each one resulting in a separate error reported in the migration log. For the mailbox's migration, however, this failure is counted as one error.
- The estimated number of items (messages, contacts, distribution lists, appointments, and tasks) the mailbox contains
- The total number of mailbox items that were successfully migrated as well as the percentage (a successful migration is where 90% or more of the items migrated)
Note: For migrations from a G Suite source, the Migration Status section indicates whether ODME has paused data extraction from Google due to hitting the data extraction limit or because Google throttled the connections. The Mailbox column shows when the migration will be restarted. There is also a tooltip to the right of the 'auto-resume' message explaining why the migration has been paused and that it will resume after 24 hours.
- Optionally, to view migration log entries for a single mailbox, click the View Log link for that mailbox.
Note: For migrations from a G Suite source, log messages indicate whether ODME paused its data download from Google. The messages indicate why ODME is pausing, how many items (contacts, calendar and email) ODME has migrated so far, and when ODME will re-start the migration. The messages also indicate if ODME paused due to hitting the data extraction limit or because Google throttled the connections.
- If some issues or unexpected errors occurred during the mailbox migration, the mailbox will be marked as "Interrupted" or "Failed". To restart the migration process for one or several "Interrupted" or "Failed" mailboxes, you can select the checkbox next to the mailbox and click the Restart Selected button.