On Demand Migration analyzes your environment and tracks potential problems, misconfiguration, and risks that might adversely affect the migration. Use Assessment view to see the summary reports on the discovered data and use the automatic filters to quickly select certain items.
The following reports are available for Teams:
- Workflow - Teams sorted by completed workflow
- Teams- Teams sorted by processing status
- In progress
- Needs your attention
- Teams By Size
- Teams By Last Activity Time
- Teams By Channel Count
- Teams By Member Count
Once you handle the issues, if any, go to List View screen. You are ready to start the migration.
After all source teams are discovered you can start to provision teams on the target tenant.
IMPORTANT: Provisioning of public teams is not supported for migration scenarios from one education tenant to another. Only private teams can be provisioned for these scenarios.
The provision task help you to perform the following:
- Create Microsoft 365 Groups on the target tenant.
- Resolve naming conflicts.
- Provision teams to the target tenant.
- Provision team membership and ownership for provisioned teams.
Make sure that all associated accounts are matched or migrated before you create the provision task.
NOTE: When using Microsoft Teams for Education, use On Demand Migration for Teams to discover and migrate the EDU group. If you use On Demand Account Migration to discover and migrate the EDU group, then provisioning the EDU teams will fail with a “Request failed with BadRequest status code (Bad Request)” event error.
To provision teams:
From the OnDemand Migration for Teams, teams tab
- Check the teams to provision associated Office 365 group and teams on the target. Provisioned teams will be owned by target Azure AD administrator account. This account also will be added to the provisioned team as a member along with the members matched with source team members. In case any matched account cannot be found on the target, this account cannot be processed and related event will be reported.
TIP: Use search and filtering to quickly navigate through the list of teams.
- Click provision to open the New Provision Task dialog.
Fill in the New Provision Task dialog
Provision Options: Does a team with the same name already exist on the target?
The default option is to Provision a new team on the target with the original name plus suffix. The default suffix is "Migrated". You can change the suffix via the New team display name suffix field.
The alternative is to Merge to the existing team on target. When selected, new fields become available. By default On Demand will Provision a new channel on the target with the original name plus suffix. You can change the default suffix "Migrated" via the New channel display name suffix field.
Alternatively, select Merge source channel conversations with the target channel. Select this option if the target channel is empty. If conversations already exist in the target channel then selecting this option will result in mixing the conversations from the source and the target on the target and is not revertible.
Provision Options: Target multi-geo tenant preferred teams location
Leave the preferred data location as Default if the target tenant is a multi-geo tenant (see Microsoft 365 Multi-Geo). All teams and groups will be migrated to the same region as the target admin.
Alternatively, select the geo location configured for the target tenant.
TIP: To migrate teams/groups to different regions, best practice is to create a collection for each region (see Using Collections for Teams) and add the teams/groups to the appropriate collection. Example collection names are "Migrate to EUR", "Migrate to JPN" and "Migrate to NAM". Use the collection as a filter to create the provision task.
Provision Options: Suppress automatic Group Welcome Message sending
When selected users will not be disturbed by automatic Microsoft messages regarding adding to the provisioned Teams.
NOTE: Suppressing these messages may result in performance degradation due to issues with Microsoft’s synchronization behavior. We suggest you check the performance during the pilot migration.
For teams provisioned by tasks created in previous releases, for which Group Welcome Messages were suppressed by default, these email messages may be received in some cases, depending on stage of processing by Microsoft.
Fill in the New Provision Task dialog: Schedule
Schedule when the task will be started. See for details.
Verify the New Provision Task dialog: Summary
View the task summary. Name the task and check selected options.
Click Finish to save or start the task depending on schedule option selected. The provision task is created. You can track its progress in the Tasks, view the summary on the Dashboard or monitor alerts and notifications in the Events.
When you migrate teams, files stored in the corresponding SharePoint document libraries and OneNote items stored in asset libraries can be migrated. The SharePoint sites associated with teams may contain additional objects that cannot be migrated with the On Demand Migration for Teams service. The following information is made available to you to help you manage the migration of SharePoint objects that cannot be migrated:
- When teams are provisioned on the target tenant, a SharePoint New Discovery Task is run. The task discovers the corresponding SharePoint site collection and its contents listed in the SharePoint Contents tab.
- When teams are migrated, the SharePoint Contents list is updated, and the Content State of the objects is changed to Migrated. You can review the list and use the On Demand Migration for SharePoint service to migrate additional SharePoint objects.
To migrate Microsoft Teams:
- Log in to Quest On Demand and choose an organization if you have multiple organizations.
- From the navigation pane, click Migration to open the My Projects list.
- Create a new project or select an existing project.
- Click Teams from the project tiles. You can also click Open Project to open the project dashboard and then click Open from the Teams tile. The Teams dashboard opens.
- Select one or more teams from the Teams List View.
TIP: It is recommended to select no more than 100 teams for the task to streamline the process. You can create several tasks that will be executed concurrently. Use search and filtering to quickly navigate through the list of teams.
- Click Migrate. The New Migration Task wizard opens.
- Step 1. Migration Options
- Choose from the following options:
- Channel Posts(Messages) - Migrate the posts or messages in a channel.
- Archive - Migrate and archive channel messages as an HTML file for each channel. The HTML file is added to the file list of the team's SharePoint site in the target tenant. A new message from the target tenant Administrator is added to each migrated channel with a link to its HTML file. A new tab called Conversation History is created in the target channel and the archived messages are displayed there.
- All messages - Migrate and archive all messages across all channels in the team
- Messages older than 15 days - Migrate and archive messages across all channels in the team that are older than 15 days.
- Messages older than 30 days- Migrate and archive messages across all channels in the team that are older than 30 days.
- Messages older than 60 days - Migrate and archive messages across all channels in the team that are older than 60 days.
Messages that are more recent than the 15, 30 or 60 days option that is selected will be migrated but not archived.
If the migration task is successful and the archive HTML file is created in the target tenant, it cannot be modified by subsequent migrations. If you attempt another migration and select the Archive option, the Archive option is ignored. All new and modified channel messages from the selected teams will be migrated and posted to the corresponding team channels in the target tenant. Messages already archived will be skipped unless they were subsequently modified (edited or linked to replies or attachments) in the source tenant.
If the migration task is unsuccessful and the archive file is not created, subsequent migrations with the Archive option selected will attempt to create an archive HTML file in the target tenant. Archive sub-options like All, Messages older than 15 days, Messages older than 30 days or Messages older than 60 days, are re-evaluated for all messages in the channel. The new set of messages selected for archival may not be the same set of messages identified in the previous archive attempt.
- Channel Files - Migrate the files, attachments, OneNote, Word, Excel and PowerPoint apps in the channel.
- Planner - Migrate the Planner buckets, tasks, comments and the corresponding Planner tabs in teams.
- Group Mailbox - Migrate the Microsoft 365 Group mailbox.
When migrating Teams using Channel Posts (Messages), links to files that are not yet migrated to the target will not work. Re-migrate Teams using Channel Files to ensure the links work correctly. To learn more, see Re-migrating messages and files.
TIP: Migration task may hang due to group mailbox migration issue. If this is the case, stop migration task and re-run the team migration with the Channel Posts and Channel Files options selected. Then repeat migration of these teams with Group Mailbox option selected.
- Click Next.
- Step 2: Schedule
- Choose from one of three options to schedule the task. The scheduler will be activated only after you complete the task wizard.
- Run now - the task will run immediately.
- Run later - the task must be started manually.
- Schedule - specify a future date and time to run the task.
- Click Next.
- Step 3: Summary
- Verify the task specifications as described below:
- Name - name of the task. You can specify a custom name.
- Source tenant - name of the tenant in this project.
- Target tenant - name of the target tenant in this project.
- Scheduled start - date and time when the task will start. Now indicates that the task will start immediately.
- Click Back to revise or review a previous step or click Finish to complete the task wizard and start the task as scheduled.
The migration task is created. You can track its progress from the Taskstab, view the summary on the Dashboard or monitor alerts and notifications from the Eventstab.
Important: The task status in task list indicates the progress of this task. Completed status means this task processing is completed. If the migration has any errors, the status Migration partially failed will appear in the Teams List View.
When a channel is renamed, Microsoft does not rename the corresponding SharePoint Document folder for this channel, this is a known issue. For example, when Channel Channel 1” is renamed to “Channel_Renamed”, the folder name under the “Files” tab is still “Channel_1”. After migration is completed, all messages and files can be opened correctly. Consider, that these files cannot be displayed on the target Files tab. This is because all the files are still stored and migrated under ““Channel_1” folder. “Channel_Renamed” folder does not exist until you click the “Channel_Renamed” channel’s Files tab, then the system will generate an empty folder for it. But no files will be stored there. To avoid files and message association breaking it is not recommended to rename folders manually. If necessary, you can copy necessary files to “Channel_Renamed' folder, but these files won't associated with messages.