This wizard helps you create, edit, and run backup cataloging tasks and restore tasks. Backup cataloging tasks store lists of backups that need to be cataloged. Restore tasks store matches between one or more source and target storages. Tasks are based on prepackaged templates, each featuring a specific combination of types of source and target storages.
When using the Task Wizard, you can register new source storages and/or select from previously registered source storages.
To start the Task Wizard
- From the main menu, select Manage | Automated Tasks.
- In the view that opens, do one of the following:
- If you want to create a new automated task, click the Create button.
- If you want to edit an existing automated task, select the task from the list, and then click the Edit button.
The wizard includes the following pages:
On the Select Action page, you can select to create a new task or edit an existing one.
On the Select Template page, you can expand the appropriate nodes in the Groups of templates list and select the task template from which you want to create a new task.
You can select from the following templates:
- Catalog Backups. Catalogs Exchange Server backups from a specific type of backup media. You can catalog backups from backup files, tape drives, or Microsoft Removable Storage Manager library. After you catalog a backup and register Exchange Server databases from that backup as storages, you can restore Exchange Server content from those databases.
- All other templates. Restore specific items from a specific source storage to a specific target storage.
Specify Task File
On the Specify Task File page, you can open an existing task file and edit the task name and description.
This page contains the following elements:
- Task file. Displays the opened task file path and name.
- Browse. Displays a dialog box you can use to locate, select, and open an existing task file for editing.
Task files are .rmxt files created with the Task Wizard.
- Task ID. Displays the unique identification number of the task. Unique identification numbers are automatically assigned to all tasks at the time of their creation.
- Task name. Displays the name of the opened task. You can edit the task name.
- Description. Displays the description of the opened task. You can edit the task description.