To extract a database from a VSS backup
- In the Recovery Manager Console, from the main menu, select Add Storages | From Backups.
- On the Select a Backup Access Method page of the wizard, select Access Exchange backups with thirdparty software. Click Next.
- On the Select Backup Software page, do the following:
- From the Use this software list, select NetVault Backup.
- From the Software version list, select your version of NetVault Backup.
- Click Next.
- Step through the wizard to specify parameters for emulating restore interface of Exchange Server.
If the Exchange Server whose database you want to register belongs to a database availability group (DAG), do the following:
- On the Select How to Provide Information page, select Retrieve information from Exchange Server.
- Step through the wizard.
- On the Specify Backed Up Exchange Server page, in the Exchange Server text box, type the name of the DAG node that holds the active copy of the database you want to register.
- Step through the wizard.
- On the Emulating Exchange Server page, wait until the Status box displays "Emulation started. Waiting for connection from backup application."
- Start NetVault WebUI.
- In the NetVault Backup main window, click the Create Restore Job on the left pane, and then do the following in the window that opens:
- On the Create Restore Job - Choose Saveset page, select a backup from the list of savesets and click Next.
- On the Create Selection Set page, expand the appropriate nodes to select databases you want to restore.
- Click Edit Plugin Options and go to the Restore and Recovery Options tab, under Restore Method, select Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) to perform the restore of selected data using the VSS method, which allows for the recovery of Full, Differential, and Incremental Backup types. In some versions of NetVault, the Restore Method area is located on the Restore and Recovery Method subtab.
- Select the Perform Recovery (Enable only on Last Step in Restore Sequence) option when performing the last job of a restore sequence. If the restore sequence only includes a Full Backup, select this option for the Full Backup. If the restore sequence includes Incremental or Differential Restores, select this option when restoring the last backup in the restore sequence. This option finalizes the restore process after completion of the restore job for which it was selected, that is, the Exchange Server is then alerted to perform any necessary recovery tasks. All other options in the Recovery Options section are dimmed unless this option is selected. For more details about other NetVault Backup options, please see this section.
- Then go to the Security tab and specify Exchange admin credentials.
- On the Create Restore Job page, specify the job name and select the Recovery Manager for Exchange computer as a target for the restore operation. Click Save & Submit.
- Click the Monitor link in the pop-up window. The Monitor job page opens - here you can view the progress of the restore job.
- After restoring the last backup set, return to Recovery Manager for Exchange.
- Follow the steps in the Add Storage Wizard to complete the storage registration.