Forcing a snapshot lets you force a data transfer for the current protected machine. When you force a snapshot, the transfer starts immediately or is added to the queue if other jobs are running.
You can choose from two types of snapshots.
If you select an incremental snapshot and there is no previous recovery point, a base image is captured. Forcing a snapshot does not change the timing for any schedules snapshots.
- A base image is a snapshot of all data on the selected volumes of the machine.
- An incremental snapshot captures all data that has been changed since the last snapshot.
- In the Rapid Recovery Core Console, navigate to the machine or cluster with the recovery point for which you want to force a snapshot.
- On the Summary page, in the Summary pane, click Force Snapshot.
The Force Snapshot dialog appears.
- In the Force Snapshot dialog box, in the check box, click one or more volumes or protection groups.
- Click Force Snapshot or Force Base Image, respectively.
- If you selected a base image, click to confirm that you want to take a base image.
A base image could take a substantial amount of time, based on the amount of data in the volumes you want to back up.
The snapshot you selected is queued and begins as soon as other jobs have completed.