To deploy QoreStor on Microsoft Hyper-V and to use the QoreStor Hyper-V cmdlets, ensure that the following prerequisites are met. For more information about the available QoreStor Hyper-V cmdlets, see the topic, “Using the Suppported cmdlets for QoreStor for Hyper-V” in this document.
NOTE: These prerequisites are applicable to Microsoft Hyper-v Server 2016 environments.
- Required User Privileges:
You must have administrator privileges or you must be a member of the administrator’s group
- Extract the downloaded QoreStor installation package on the Hyper-V host to access its files. It may take couple of seconds for the files to be extracted. Before executing the Hyper-V installation process the following software pre-requisites are required:
NOTE: This software is easily accessible from the Pre-Requisites folder. The pre-requisite file names may change due to different QoreStor OS versions release and also other updates may be required.
- Installing .NET Framework 4.6
NOTE: For convenience both online and offline version of .NET 4.6 is available along with the .NET security update packages.
Additional prerequisites for deploying QoreStor in Microsoft Hyper- V Server 2016 and Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2019 environments
Installing the Hyper-V Management Tools
This prerequisite is a Windows feature that contains a PowerShell extension to manage Hyper-V servers on Server 2016 systems. Using PowerShell to install this feature, enter the following commands with elevated privileges:
Install-WindowsFeature Hyper-V-Tools – This command enables Windows to administer Hyper-V.
Install-WindowsFeature Hyper-V-PowerShell – This command installs additional PowerShell commands specialized for Hyper-V.
Set-ExecutionPolicy AllSigned – This command allows scripts signed by a trusted publisher to be run on Windows server..
After the pre-requisites are complete, you can deploy QoreStor on the local Hyper-v host. For more information, see the topic “Deploying QoreStor on a Local Hyper-V Host”.
To deploy the QoreStor VM on a local Hyper-V host:
- Run the QoreStor command script from the install package. A command line deployment wizard is displayed with the following ACTIONS are displayed:
- Type action 1 to Deploy and press <Enter>.
- Type the appropriate QoreStor Hyper-V name and press <Enter>. The following options to select storage size are displayed:
b) TIER 1
c) TIER 2
d) TIER 3
- Type option a, b, c, or d as appropriate and press <Enter>. The QoreStor Hyper virtual machine code is now deployed and this process will take approximately 2–3 minutes. A message is displayed showing the deployment progress, that is creating of new QoreStor template, processing the QoreStor image, and populating the virtual machine with QoreStor configurations. A message appears when the deployment has completed successfully
- When prompted to deploy another QoreStor, type y for yes or type n for no as appropriate and press <Enter>. The Local Deployment menu is displayed again.
- Type option 2 and press <Enter> to start the QoreStor virtual machine to self extract the installation packages and install all the QoreStor components.
- Enter the name of the QoreStor virtual appliance to start.
- When prompted to start another QoreStor, type y for yes or type n for no as appropriate and press <Enter>. The Local Deployment menu is displayed again.
- Next launch Hyper-V Manager. Navigate to . The Hyper-V Manager window is displayed.
- Select the host where QoreStor VM resides.
- Right-click the QoreStor VM and select Connect to view the installation process Depending on your system resources, it may take 10 - 20 minutes to self extract installation packages and components.
- After installation, proceed with the initial setup and configuration of QoreStor as described in the topic, “Configuring QoreStor.”
If an alternate storage location is required for the QoreStor virtual appliance due to capacity limitations or for other reasons, the remote Hyper-V host Virtual hard disks and Virtual machine paths must be changed before QoreStor is deployed.
NOTE: The capacity requirements of QoreStor are beyond 200GB. For example, if a 2TB DR2000v is to be deployed a 2.2TB storage capacity will be required.
To change the storage paths follow these steps:
- Log on and connect to the remote machine using Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) using the following command:
mstsc /v:<remote server IP address>
- Open the file manager and identify the volume that has free capacity for QoreStor deployment.
- Create a folder in this location.
- With the storage needs identified, change the Hyper-V virtual machine storage locations. From the local machine, navigate to Start Menu > Administrative Tools > Hyper-V Manager.
- Connect to the host where QoreStor will be deployed.
- Right-click the host, and select Hyper-V settings.
- Change both the Virtual hard disks and Virtual machine path settings to the same new path, and click OK.
The QoreStor machine is ready to be deployed.
Configuring the QoreStor virtual machine
The sections below contain the steps and information required to configure the QoreStor virtual machinefor the first time.