Configuring a Performance Tier
Before configuring a performance tier, ensure that you have reviewed the requirements and limitations below.
- Only one volume can be mapped to a performance tier.
- Your performance tier volume must be mapped to high-performance storage.
- Your performance tier volume must be mapped to an XFS file system.
- An existing QoreStor repository may not be mapped to a performance tier.
- Once a performance tier has been created, the storage path cannot be changed.
- Only one performance tier can be added to QoreStor.
- Currently, it is not possible to delete the performance tier.
- The mount location for the high-performance storage must be added to your QoreStor system's file systems table (fstab) to mount the storage automatically when the server reboots.
Add mount location to /etc/fastab using the noatime and drsync mount options
echo '<storage path> /perf01 xfs defaults,noatime,dirsync 0 0' >> /etc/fstab
Adding a performance tier
Adding a performance tier can be accomplished through the QoreStor UI or via the performance_tier command in the QoreStor CLI. Refer to the QoreStor Command Line Reference Guide for more information on the performance_tier command.
To add a performance tier
Before adding a performance tier, ensure that the storage is mounted to the QoreStor server as an XFS filesystem. Refer to Guidelines for configuring additional storage for additional guidelines and requirements.
- In the navigation menu, click Local Storage to expand the menu, then click Performance Tier.
- Click Add Performance Tier.
- Enter the mount path for the performance tier volume.
- Optionally, click Test to ensure this storage meets the performance requirements. You will be prompted that the test can take several minutes, click Confirm to continue.
- Click Add.
When a performance tier is added, QoreStor will also create the corresponding storage group "PerformanceTier" mapped to the performance tier storage.
- A warning will be displayed notifying you that a service restart may be required. Click Confirm to continue.
NOTE: QoreStor services will be restarted. You will need to log into the UI once the restart is complete.
- Once the performance tier is created, you can enable encryption. Refer to Editing a performance tier.
Editing a performance tier
To modify a storage group via the user interface, complete the following steps
- In the navigation menu, click Local Storage to expand the menu, then click Performance Tier
- Click Edit Performance Tier.
- On the Edit Performance Tier page, select or modify the options below, as appropriate:
- Encryption— Select this option to enable ecryption on the performance tier.
- Change Password—This is used to generate a pass phrase key, which is used to encrypt the content encryption keys. It is mandatory to define a passphrase to enable encryption.
- Encryption Mode— Select the mode of key lifecycle management from one of the following options:
- Static— A global, fixed key is used to encrypt all data.
- Internal— Content encryption keys are generated and rotated on a specified period of days.
- Key Rotation— Displays the number of key rotation interval days as N/A, or the number that was set for Internal Encryption Mode. If you selected Internal as the mode of key management, select the number of days for key rotation when a new key is to be generated.
NOTE: After encryption is enabled, all of the data that is backed up is encrypted and is kept encrypted until it is expired and cleaned by the system cleaner. Encryption is an irreversible process.
- Click Update.
Configuring additional storage
QoreStor allows for the configuration of additional storage enclosures in order to increase capacity.