Taking manual snapshot from Snapshot Manager also fails with error: "Operation not allowed in current state."
When you attempt a snapshot for a virtual machine using vRanger, you receive these errors in vCenter
Cannot create snapshot
Operation not allowed in current state
This issue occurs if the vCenter management agents have stopped causing the snapshot attempt to move in to the ON_SHUTTING_DOWN state.
To resolve this do 1 of 2 things:
- If possible vmotion the vm to another host in the cluster.
- restart the VMware agents:
1. Ensure that the Virtual machine startup / shutdown with host feature is disabled before this step.
2. Restart the management agents on the host.
3. On vCenter Server, restart the vCenter and Management Web services.
4. Attempt the snapshot again.