The above error is returned when a vRanger Hot-Add backup is attempted with CBT (Change-Block Tracking) enabled on the VM, and the job has the "Enable Guest Quiesing" option selected in the backup job for the VM(s).
This is a known issue with the way vRanger 5.3.0 interprets the -ctk file on the file system of the VM, and how this impacts a quiesced snapshot operation. Quest Quality Assurance and Development are currently working on the problem, and it will be addressed in a future release of the product.
A fix will be provided in a future release of the product, but as a workaround on any VMs exhibiting this behavior during a backup:
1) Disable Change-Block Tracking on the VM (right-click in "My Inventory" in vRanger, then select "Disable Change Block Tracking").
2) Through the VMWare client, take a NEW snapshot of the VM. Do not check the "snapshot virtual memory" option.
3) When complete, go to Snapshot Manager for this VM, and perform a "Delete All" operation.
4) When complete, do NOT re-enable Change Block Tracking on the VM.
5) Edit the job that backs-up this VM. Un-check the "Enable Guest Quiescing" option in the job options screen.
6) Re-run the backup.