Installing QoreStor with Object Direct Storage
Installing QoreStor in Object Direct configuration utilizes a volume layout different from a standard installation and the installation script requires additional cloud-configuration information. Before installing QoreStor, refer to QoreStor installation modesQoreStor installation modesand the QoreStor Interoperability Guide for additional information.
To install QoreStor in Object Direct mode
- Copy the QoreStor installation files to the server.
- Set execution permission on the installation files using chmod. For example,
$ chmod a+x qs_inst_18.104.22.168.bin
- With elevated privileges (either as root or with the sudo command), run the installation script with the desired parameters, using the below information as a guide. To install QoreStor in object direct mode, use the --object-direct parameter.
- qs_inst_22.214.171.124.bin -- -f –p <repository_path> -m <metadata_path> --object-direct --mode=<cloud-optimized|standard|large> --accept-eula --install-deps -e <cloud-provider> -t <cloud-container-name> -o <cloud-connection-string>
||enables firewall configuration|
||displays this help message|
||is the path to the repository storage|
||is the path to the metadata storage|
||accepts the EULA agreement|
||resolves missing package dependencies|
||adds any required mount options to fstab entries|
||installs support for object-direct storage|
||does not install support for object-direct storage|
||object storage provider (e.g. AWS-S3, AZURE, S3-Compatible, etc.)|
||container name for object storage|
||access key for object-direct storage|
|--mode=<large |standard |cloud-optimized>
||selects the type of storage configuration|
Logging in to QoreStor
To access the QoreStor UI, you must connect via a supported browser.
To access the QoreStor UI
- In a supported browser, navigate to https://<hostname:5233>
NOTE: You can use either the host IP or hostname.
- Log in with the default credentials:
- username: admin
- password: St0r@ge!
To access the QoreStor command line interface
- Using the terminal emulation application of your choice, connect to your QoreStor server.
- Starting with version 7.1, the qsadmin and qsservice users are not created on a fresh installation of QoreStor. Create a new user or employ an existing account to dedicate a user for QoreStor administration with the following command:
For QoreStor instances created with OVAs or from Azure Marketplace, refer to the respective guides.
- At the system prompt, enter the username for an account with super user privileges.
- For a list of QoreStor CLI commands, refer to the Quest QoreStor Command Line Reference Guide.
Upgrading your QoreStor software
There are multiple options for upgrading your QoreStor software, allowing for flexibility to fit your environment and your comfort level with working in the Linux command line. Regardless of the method chosen, the QoreStor upgrade requires that the new binaries be downloaded from the Quest website and run on the QoreStor server. The upgrade methods accomplish this in different ways:
- The QoreStor CLI - Through the QoreStor CLI you can manually upload the binaries, verify and change file permissions, and run the installer with additional parameters. Refer to Upgrading your QoreStor Software using the QoreStor Command Line
- The QoreStor UI - In circumstances where access to the QoreStor server is restricted (or for those that choose not to upload the QoreStor binaries via the command line), you may use the QoreStor UI to upload the QoreStor binary and signature files from your workstation. After uploading the files, you must run the upgrade from the QoreStor CLI. Refer to Upgrading QoreStor Software using the QoreStor UI.
Before upgrading, review the best practices and recommendations in Before you upgrade.
Before you upgrade
Before upgrading your QoreStor instance, please review and follow the guidelines below:
- Make sure that all backup jobs which use the QoreStor server as a target are paused for the duration of the upgrade.
- Make sure that the QoreStor system has at least 1GB of free space on the root partition.
- If the existing installation of QoreStor uses the default passwords for the UI admin login, qsservice user, or qsadmin user, then you must update these passwords before upgrading to QoreStor 7.1.
- To update the UI admin login password, run /opt/qorestor/bin/user --setpassword --name admin.
- To update the qsadmin user password, run passwd qsadmin.
- To update the qsservice user password, run passwd qsservice.
NOTE:When upgrading, if the installer discovers default passwords configured for any of the qsadmin, qsservice, or UI admin users, the installer exits and does not complete the installation.
- There are some preliminary configuration steps that must be followed to prepare your DR Series for upgrade. Refer to Preparing your DR Series for migrationfor more information.
IMPORTANT:QoreStor7.1 includes support for VTL protocols. To upgrade to QoreStor7.1 and enable VTL support, you must first run ./qs_inst_126.96.36.199.bin -- --install-vtl.
If you do not wish to enable VTL support, follow the upgrade procedure below.
Upgrading QoreStor instances on Microsoft Azure
For QoreStor instances running on Microsoft Azure, perform the actions below before upgrading to 188.8.131.52.