Can Recovery Manager restore GPOs to a different domain from where they were backed up?
Yes, GPOs can be restored to a domain other than that from which the backup was taken, using the Group Policy Restore Wizard. This feature makes it possible to migrate Group Policy objects between domains.
The procedure below details the steps required to copy GPOs from one domain to another domain:
1. Create a backup for a domain controller in the source domain where the GPOs reside, ensuring that the Active Directory component is selected.
2. Start the Group Policy Restore Wizard and follow the instructions in the wizard.
3. When prompted to choose a backup source domain, select the source domain that was just backed up in step 1.
4. When prompted to choose a backup, select the backup created in step 1.
5. When prompted to choose an operation target domain, click Copy Group Policy Objects from backup to the specified domain and type the name of the target domain where the GPOs will be restored, in the Domain box.
6. Continue following the instructions in the wizard to complete the operation.