Backup task fails with error message "<hostname or IP address of ESX(i) host> is not licensed for the backup (or replication) feature" even though host is being shown as properly licensed in "My Inventory" (i.e. it has large golden key near its name) and under Tools > Options > Licensing > Hosts.
It may happen because of the duplicate entries in vRanger database. For example, the same host was credentialed and licensed twice - one time by its IP address and second time - by FQDN.
1. Download and install Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express (SSMSE). Both 32-bit and 64-bit installers can be found here:
2. Open up Services and stop vRanger service.
3. Launch SSMSE and connect to vRanger SQL Server instance (by default, it's <servername>/VRANGERPRO).
4. Expand Databases > vRangerPro > Tables, right-click on "LicenseFeatureHost" table and select "Open table".
5. When table is open, select all rows and delete them (either press Del button or right-click and select "Delete").
6. Close SSMSE, open up Services and start vRanger service.
7. Launch vRanger, go to Tools > Options > Licensing > Host. At this point all hosts should be deselected. Apply license against all necessary hosts and click OK.