I would like to use the vRanger server to back up itself or the VM that it (vRanger) is installed on.
Some important considerations about installing vRanger in a VM:
• When installing vRanger in a VM, it is not supported to use vRanger to backup the VM on which it is installed. The merging of the backup snapshot for the installation VM may cause vRanger to momentarily lose connectivity, causing the backup to fail.
• If the vRanger VM fails you will still need to build a new vRanger machine to restore the old vRanger machine
Please use the following options to backup the VM that vRanger is installed on.
1. If you have 2 vRanger VM, use them to backup each other. vRanger is only able to backup VMs and not physical machines.
2. Create a clone and keep this offline, and Use SQL tools to create a current database backup which can be used to update the cloned vRanger VM.
3. Backup the vRanger DB, SQL Management Studio can be used for this. Once you have a backup of the DB you can always install vRanger from scratch and use this DB get newly installed vRanger to be configured the same previous installation that you backed up the vRanger DB from.