In order for vRanger and NetVault SmartDisk to successfully integrate, you must use the versions below (or later):
vRanger Pro 5.3
NetVault SmartDisk - vRanger Edition 1.5.1
NVSD has the following software requirements:
Windows platforms – NVSD has the following requirements on Windows:
– Microsoft Visual C++ – If it is not already installed, NVSD automatically installs the applicable portions of the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package. No additional steps are required by you.
– System-memory requirements – Make sure that your Windows system has at least 2 gigabytes (GB) plus 400 megabytes (MB) for every terabyte (TB) of data that the Chunk Store must address.
– If you use a 32-bit platform, you are limited to a Chunk Store of 5 TB of unique data.
– If you use a 64-bit platform, you are limited to a Chunk Store of 15 TB of unique data.
The use of NetVault SmartDisk in a production environment is only supported when run on a physical machine. The NVSD server must meet the following hardware requirements:
- CPU requirements – As a general rule, the NVSD machine should be equipped with two (2) dual-core CPUs, although CPU requirements vary based on the required NVSD Deduplication Rate (the rate at which NVSD deduplicates data) — the higher the Deduplication Rate requirements, the higher the CPU requirements for the machine where NVSD software is installed.
– The NVSD Deduplication Rate must be greater than or equal to the Ingest Rate to ensure that the deduplication process completes during the backup window or before the next weekly backup window begins.
- Memory requirements:
– Required minimum – 2GB
– Recommend minimum – An additional 400MB per 1TB of NVSD-unique data
10TB of NVSD Unique Data
2GB + (400MB * 10) = 2GB + 4000MB = 6GB
- Network requirement for all NVSD Instances – TCP/IP name resolution. After the machine that will host the NVSD software has been identified, make sure that the machine can resolve its own host name.
- Administrator account for installation – Administrator credentials are only required for use during the installation process, removal process, and, if necessary, manually restarting the NVSD Services.
- NVSD Non-privileged Group and User – Security group with full NVSD configuration and monitoring rights. You are not required to create the non-privileged user prior to installation. You can enter the applicable information during the installation process. The installer will verify that the account meets all applicable system requirements before continuing with the installation process.
- UNC path and credentials if using a network share on Windows – You can specify a path that includes a network share, whether it is mapped or using Universal Naming Convention (UNC). To do so, the parent director of the target must exist (the target directory does not have to exist yet) and you must have the access credentials.