How to collect SNMP traps with the Data Collection Engine
The following describes the steps to configure the data collection engine to send SNMP traps:
1. Connect to the data collection engine.
2. Go to View -> Data Collection options
3. Go to the second tab called Notifications.
4. In the edit box that is labeled Application to run on alert and enter the path to the SNMP trap generation utility which is called iwsnmptraps.exe which is shipped with Spotlight on Exchange. Usually the default the path is, C:\Program Files\Quest Software\Common Files\Data Collection Server\iwsnmptrap.exe
5. In the edit box below it that is labeled Parameters for the application enter the following parameters:
a. The IP address of the machine that will receive the SNMP trap
b. The community name (most of the time it will be public)
c. As the third parameter enter 6
d. As the forth parameter enter 0
e. As the fifth parameter enter the following:
"$Status$ on $ServerName$ for $CounterName$ - $CounterInstanceName$ =$CounterValue$"
Here is an example of the complete string:
10.4.60.95 public 6 0 "$Status$ on $ServerName$ for $CounterName$ - $CounterInstanceName$ = $CounterValue$"
6. Create a notification group.
7. Apply the notification group to the server for which you want to generate SNMP traps.
8. Make sure that there are counters on the server which are configured to generate notifications.
This is unsupported so please contact the Professional Service Organization (http://www.quest.com/professional-services/) if any issues occur.