Here is a list of items to check with a Managed Installation (MI) when it is unable to deploy or to uninstall from a client machine.
Check the setup of the managed installation:
· Review the "Silent Install Guide" attached to this article referencing sample setups of few applications: (Examples include: Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Office,Citrix Presentation Server, Microsoft Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox). The PDF is attached to this article.
On the Software Detail Page of the specific application, make sure the following parameters are checked:
o The correct operating system is selected!
o You are using the correct software item that was detected by a test install OR your custom inventory field is being detected. In either case your test /reference machine that has the software successfully installed is shown at the bottom on the software detail page -- this means that you are using the correct software item that is being detected by inventory
o If attaching a zip file...does the zip file include a directory when it is unzipped? Modify the full command line in the managed install correctly
MI is not set to "disabled."
- If command line includes setup.exe, make sure to enter it in the Override Defaul Installation section and check the Don't Prepend msiexec.exe box.
· When viewing the inventory detail of one of the targeted machine, where the package is not yet installed, the "To Install List" will show that this MI is listed.
· The command used to install or uninstall works outside of the K1000 appliance (use a CMD console to execute the parameters) and does not require any user interaction. The current directoy when MI's are copied, unpacked and launched is the sub-folder where MI packages get downloaded. i.e.
c:\program files\kace\kbox\downloads\XX (XX is the MI number)
· Does the installation work for the LOCAL SYSTEM user?
Use the following FAQ which details how to mimic the LOCAL SYSTEM USER to install the application:
How to mimic a script as Local System User
Check on the K1000 Client:
· The K1000 Agent is checking in successfully. MI's are done after a successful inventory. Even if AMP (i.e. "green-light" is connected by the machine is not checking-in then an MI will not run.
· When the client checks in, does it download the application into the
c:\Program Files\Kace\kbox\downloads\XXXX directory?
To Find out the actual XXXX number do the following:
o Browse to http://kbox/adminui
o Go to the Distribution -> Software Item listing
o Hover over the managed installation title, see the bottom of the browser for the full URL:
o Example: http://kbox/adminui/mi.php?ID=1736
o Check c:\Program Files\Kace\kbox\download\1736 to see if the application installer has been downloaded.
o Is a process from a previous attempt still running on the machine? Check task manager and kill any process that is hung/suspended. Eg. msiexec.exe that error out may hang
Turn on Client Debugging
· Enable debugging using the following FAQ and re-test: How to enable debug logs on the KACE K1000 Client
o Check the following files:
o DEBUG.LOG - show the downloading and execution of the software item
o KBOTS_LOG.txt - show inventory process beginning
o KBLXLOG.txt - show any crashes of the agent
Check Replication Settings
· If a replication share is being used then test the MI in a simpler set-up. Once it is working on a machine that does not use replication then proceed to attempt to install it on another machine.
· Check the following on the Replication Share:
o Is the package uploaded to the replication share? Has it completed copying? You can check the bottom of server replication details page and inspect the physical location in the filesystem on the replication share
o Is the Replication share working correctly for other files?
o Is it able to download file to the clients?
If you need Technical Support
Please send the following to KACE Support:
· Reproducible case
· Version number of server and agents
· Screenshot of the Managed Installation setup and the command line used to install or uninstall the application
· Screenshot of software inventory item showing that it's detected on a test system
· Check if the application is being downloaded to the client under the c:\Program Files\Kace\KBOX\Download\XXXX directory
· Results of all tests above
· Log files when debugging is turned on. Please note timestamps of your test.
The Most Common Problem
The install keeps happening over and over again as shown in the asset history of the machine OR the "to install list" never goes to 0.
This is the same problem and happens because you did not associate the managed install with the right software item