To start monitoring a vCloud Director server:
1. Log in to the Foglight browser interface.
2. On the navigation panel, under Dashboards
, click vCloud Director | vCloud Environment
3. Click the Administration
4. Under Tasks
, click Discover vCloud Server Groups
to launch the vCloud Discovery Wizard
The vCloud Discovery Wizard
appears, showing the Select Agent Host
page. The page lists one or more hosts that are running Agent Manager instances.
5. On the Select Agent Host
page, select the running Agent Manager that you want to manage the monitoring agents you are about to create, and click Next
6. On the Discovery Configuration
page, provide the following information needed to connect to the vCloud server belonging to the group whose cell you want to monitor.
- vCloud Server: Type the vCloud server name.
- User Name: Type the user name needed to access the vCloud server.
- Password: Type the password needed to access the vCloud server, associated with the above user name.
7 Click Next
8 On the All vCloud Cells
page, select the vCloud server that you want to monitor, and click Next
9. On the All vCenter Servers page, select one or more vCenter that you want to monitor.
IMPORTANT: Monitoring a vCenter requires a running instance of the VMware Performance Agent. This agent is provided with Foglight for VMware. For more information about this product, see the Foglight for VMware User and Reference Guide.
—Configure monitoring of a vCenter using the VMware Performance Agent.
a. On the All vCenter Servers page, in the row listing the vCenter that you want to configure, click the Configure Agent column.
The VMware vCenter Agent: Configure Agent Properties dialog box appears.
b. Provide the following information needed to connected to the vCloud server belonging to the group whose cell you want to monitor.
- VMware Agent Name: If you want to specify a different name than the one provided by default (for example, VMware Agent 1), type it in this box.
- Port: If you want to use a different port number than the one provided by default, 443, type it in this box.
- User Name: Type the user name for the VMware Performance Agent to use to log in to the specified Virtual Center.
- Password: Type the password needed to access the specified Virtual Center, associated with the above user name.
- Enable Storage Collection: If you are running Foglight for Storage Management and want to enable the VMware Performance Agent to collect the Foglight for Storage Management data, select this check box. Otherwise, leave this box clear.
NOTE: Foglight for Storage Management can help you optimize the VMware environment virtual storage and its underlying physical storage components. For more information about this product, see the Foglight for Storage Management documentation.
c. Click Save.
11 Click Finish
12 The vCloud Discovery Wizard
closes and the Result For Agent(s) Creation
dialog box appears, showing a list of monitoring agents created during the discovery process.