Creating a default Price Plan
When you start up Foglight Cost Director the first time, you will be directed to the Initialize Cost Director dialog box which walks you through the procedure of setting up the default Price Plan.
To create the default Price Plan:
1. Log in to the Foglight browser interface and make sure the left navigation panel is open.
2. On the navigation panel, under Homes, click Cost Director
The Cost Director dashboard opens.
3. In the Cost Director
dashboard, click Activate
The Initialize Cost Director
dashboard opens.Initialize Cost Director
4. Datacenter Costs:
This step creates the default cost structures for all VMs, which includes the following parts:
Set your local currency: Specify the cost currency by clicking the currency and a Currency Configuration dialog box will open. The supported currency includes USD, EUR, GBP, JPY, and CNY. Exchange Rate to USD can also be set on this page.
Compute Price Plan
- CPU Unit Cost per Month
- Memory Unit Cost per Month
License & Add-on Cost per VM
Storage Price Plan
- Electricity Cost per Year
- Facility Cost per Year
- Guest OS License Cost per Year
- Hypervisor Cost per Year
- Reset to System Compute Price Plan button
- Storage Cost per Month
- I/O Operation Cost per 100,000
- Reset to System Storage Price Plan button
The following lists the formula of populating:
- CPU Unit Cost per Month = (Total Servers Cost x CPU Cost Weight%) / (Server Lifecycle Year x 12 month) x Active Server Count x Server CPU Cores x CPU Speed x vCPU/Cores Ratio x (1 - CPU Reservation%)
- Memory Unit Cost per Month = (Total Servers Cost x Memory Cost Weight) / (Server Lifecycle Year x 12 month) x Active Server Count x Server RAM x (1 - RAM Reservation%)
- Storage Cost per Month = (Total Storage Cost x Space Cost Weight%) / (Storage Lifecycle Year x 12 month) x (Total Storage Space x 1024)
- I/O Operation Cost per 100000 = 100000 x (Total Storage Cost x IO Cost Weight%) / (IOPS Capacity x Storage Lifecycle Year x 365 x 24 x 3600)
Taking numbers in the above figure for example, you can get the following values:
- CPU Unit Cost per Month = 600x0.3/6x12x3x2x5x1x(1-50%)=0.167
- Memory Unit Cost per Month = 600x0.7/6x12x3x3x(1-50%)=1.296
- Storage Cost per Month =6000000x50%/6x12x500x1024=0.081
- I/O Operation Cost per 100000 = 100000x6000000x50%/100000x6x365x24x3600=0.016
5. VM Ownership:
a. Add Business Unit. Click the button and an Add new business unit
dialog box opens. Specify the required information.
b. Select the unallocated VMs from the left table, and then click Move In
to assign the selected virtual machines to the specified Business Unit, as needed. Click Next
6. Costs Summary: View the topology dependency on the Costs Summary view, and then click Finish
7. The creation of the default Price Plan is completed, and then the Cost Director | On-Premises
dashboard opens by default. Also you can view the detailed information about created Organization, Business Unit, Default Price Plan, and Topology
dependency view through the Cost Director | On-Premises | Administration
Recommended additional reading
As tasks on the Chargeback
dashboard, the Cloud Cost
dashboard, and the Container Cost
dashboard are commonly used throughout Foglight and Foglight Evolve products. Quest recommends that you read the following guides to understand both dashboards and the relevant tasks.
- Chapter Reporting on Your Enterprise in the Foglight User Guide.
- Chapter Cost Tab in the Foglight Hybrid Cloud Manager for Azure User and Administration Guide.
- Chapter Cost in the Foglight for Container Management User and Administration Guide.
- Chapter “Bubble Chart User Guide” and “Scatter Chart User Guide” in the Web Component Reference.
All data and metrics, which are presented and calculated by Foglight Cost Director, are from the Foglight for VMware cartridge. Quest also recommends that you read through the Foglight for VMware User and Reference Guide & Foglight for VMware Installation Guide
to get a comprehensive understanding about the Foglight for VMware.