Using Toad for SQL Server 5.6, I am experiencing what is a perceived slowness when executing queries. We have turned on the Command Bar which shows the duration after a query has been executed. When we run the query, the duration varies from 10 to 40 seconds. When we execute the exact same query in SQL Management Studio it takes a total of 1-3 seconds to execute and display the results.
Using statistics (SET STATISTICS TIME ON), Toad is reporting the query is taking milliseconds when we look in the Messages tab, however, the duration is still showing anywhere between 10-40 seconds. This is really frustrating when working with queries that should be taking seconds to return and we have to wait 10-40 seconds. Our query does return 300+ columns and about 200 rows but Management Studio has no problems handling this.
Prior to us testing in SQL Management Studio, we thought we had serious performance issues with our database and queries and spent unnecessary time trying to troubleshoot. On a whim, we tried it in SQL Management Studio and found our queries are just fine.
Waiting for fix in a future version of Toad for SQL Server.
One can use the Toad for SQL Server 5.7 beta. Click on the link below.