It is not possible to save results from query to a file without first executing it to the data grid.
Create a Save As script in Toad and run script from command line, refer to Solution 18199 - "How to use Save As from command line prompt to export files automatically."https://support.quest.com/SUPPORT/index?page=solution&id=SOL18199
1. Launch Toad for Oracle, type the desired query in the SQL Editor window.
2. Execute the query so that the results display in the Data Grid.
3. Right mouse click the Data Grid and select Save As.
4. Configure the desired options, then click Save As icon (floppy disk).
5. Name and save the script file.
6. Open the script file and read through the directions how to execute it. The following steps will show you a basic execution.
a. Shut down Toad.
b. Create a batch file or run the command line:
c:\toad\toad.exe Connect=system/manager@mydb EXP=c:\thisfile.txt
Where c:\Toad\Toad.exe is the path to your Toad executable, system/manager is your login and password, mydb is your database instance, and c:\thisfile.txt is your script file.
c. The output file will be named and saved according to how it was set up in the Save As screen.
Enhancement request has been submitted to development to be implemented in a future version of Toad for Oracle