Whether connected to an Oracle database or not, the Toad Editor will pause or freeze for about 5 seconds and then is responsive again like normal. This cycle of it freezing or pausing happens approximently every mintue.
Having the Task Manager up and seeing the CPU for the Toad.exe process shows it spike from 0 to 25 when the issue occurs. This happens every minute as well whether activly typing in the Editor or not.
Use Windows MSCONFIG to limit the start up items:
1. Click on Start | Run
2. Type msconfig and click OK
3. On the General tab, select the Selective Startup radio button
4. Uncheck Load Startup Items
5. Click on Apply
6. Click on Close
7. Click on Restart to reboot the PC
8. Once the PC is back up, retest the scenario.
NOTE: Need to be logged in as an Administrator or have a Windows Admin use MSCONFIG.