How to access and use the Import Wizard?
1. Select Tools | Import Wizard from the menu to open the Welcome page of the Import wizard.
2. Click Next. The Import File page displays.
3. Click Add File and select the file you want to import. The File Format page automatically displays.
Note: You must define import options for each file individually. After completing the following steps, the Import File page
re-displays and you can add the next file.
4. Complete the following fields:
File data format
Select the format to use for the input data from the drop-down list. The following options are available:
- Comma Separated Values: Imports a CSV file with a comma delimiter and a single quote character.
- Fixed Column Width: Imports a flat file where each column of data is a specific character width per line.
- Tab Delimited Text: Imports a text file similar to CSV and separates columns using tab delimiters.
- Delimited Text: Imports a text file similar to CSV, but it lets you define the delimiter used to identify columns
- Excel: Imports an Excel file.
If you selected Delimited Text, enter the delimiter used in the file to separate columns.
String quote character
Enter the character used in the file for data that contains strings with quotes.
Column names are first row
Select this checkbox if the file includes column headers in the first row.
First Data Row
Enter the row number where you want to begin importing data.
Empty fields are null
Select this checkbox to accept null values when importing any empty fields from the file.
Select the encoding option to use when importing the file, such as Unicode.
Note: The Edit Import and Remove File buttons are not available until you can edit or remove the imported file settings.
5. Click Next and verify the data to import in the File Preview page.
6. Click Next and complete the following fields in the Select Table page.
Select the schema/database where you want to import the data from the drop-down list.
Select the table where you want to import the data.
7. Click Next and complete the fields in the Review Target Table Data page.
Select this checkbox to remove the existing rows of data from the table before importing the new data.
Select this checkbox to add identity inserts in the table.
8. Click Next and select one of the following column mapping options:
- By Position: Click this button to automatically map file fields to table columns based on their location in the file.
- By Name: Click this button to map file fields and table columns based on their column names.
- Click Next and select one of the following options from the Import File page:
- Click Next to complete the import of this file.
- Click Add File to configure another file to import.
- Select a file and click Edit Import to modify any options for importing this file.
- Select a file and click Remove File to delete a file rather than importing it.
10. Click Finish.