Overview of Toad for Oracle
Toad for Oracle provides an intuitive and efficient way for database professionals of all skill and experience levels to perform their jobs with an overall improvement in workflow effectiveness and productivity. With Toad for Oracle you can:
- Understand your database environment through visual representations
- Meet deadlines easily through automation and smooth workflows
- Perform essential development and administration tasks from a single tool
- Deploy high-quality applications that meet user requirements and perform predictably and reliably in production
- Validate database code to ensure the best-possible performance and adherence to best-practice standards
- Manage and share projects, templates, scripts, and more with ease
The Toad for Oracle solutions are built for you, by you. Nearly two decades of development and feedback from various communities like Toad World have made it the most powerful and functional tool available. With an installed base of over two million, Toad for Oracle continues to be the "de facto" standard tool for database development and administration.
These are the system requirements for Toad for Oracle. Additional system requirements for the products that are bundled in the Toad Editions are in the Toad for Oracle Editions Release Notes on http://support.quest.com/technical-documentation.
1 GHz processor
- 1 GB RAM - Toad for Oracle 32 bit
- 2 GB RAM - Toad for Oracle 64 bit
Note: The memory required may vary based on the following:
- Applications that are running on your system
- Size and complexity of the database
- Amount of database activity
- Number of concurrent users accessing the database
Hard disk space
- 120 MB - Toad for Oracle 32 bit
- 150 MB - Toad for Oracle 64 bit
- Windows 8.1
- Windows 10
- Windows 11
- Windows Server 2012 R2 - 2 CPU required
- Windows Server 2016
- Windows Server 2019
- Windows Server 2022
An Oracle client must be installed and configured on the system where you are running Toad. The following are supported:
- Oracle Client or Instant Client 10.2.0.5
- Oracle Client or Instant Client 184.108.40.206/220.127.116.11
- Oracle Client or Instant Client 12c Release 1 and 2
- Oracle Client or Instant Client 18c
- Oracle Client or Instant Client 19c
- Oracle Client or Instant Client 21c
Note: You must use the 32-bit version of Toad with the 32-bit Oracle client, and the 64-bit version of Toad with the 64-bit Oracle client.
- 10g Release 2
- 11g Release 1 and 2
- 12c Release 1 and 2
Important: It is recommended that your client version be of the same release (or later) as your database server. This is an Oracle recommendation to prevent performance issues.
Cloud database service
Oracle Database as a Service on Amazon EC2 and Oracle Cloud
- Internet Protocol Version 6 (IPv6) is being adopted by the US Federal Government and industries around the world. In its most basic format, the new protocol uses 128-bit addresses instead of 32-bit addresses, which are used by the current IPv4 to route packets over the Internet. Toad for Oracle features, such as FTP, access the Internet through third-party vendors that are IPv6 compliant, such as /nSoftware's IP*Works. For access to Web sites by way of the Toad Online window, Toad simply invokes the user-defined or default Web browser.
- Toad for Oracle Subscription editions require the user to sign in when using the product. This enables the product to verify the user's identity and to check that they are entitled to use the subscription. To complete this entitlement check internet access is required to connect to Quest Software's Licensing Servers.
- Toad for Oracle Subscription edition is bundled with Quest Auto Update, a service to periodically check for and deliver product updates. Quest Auto Update requires internet access and must be able to reach the cloud service at https://autoupdate.toadworld.com.
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or later (to view video from the Jump list within Toad, and to view the product documentation in HTML format).
- Microsoft Office 2016 and recent earlier releases are supported for Word and Excel output.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0 or later (to view the product documentation in PDF format).
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 to support the Toad for Oracle Editions Installer.
Desktop virtualization (VDI)
vWorkspace™ 7.0 has been tested.
Oracle VM 3.1 has been tested.
VMware ESX Server 3.5, 4.0, and 5.5 have been tested.
Note: Toad may work in virtualization environments other than the ones listed.
In order to install and run Toad, make a connection, and do basic operations, you must have the following privileges.
Windows 8.1 and 10
Windows Server 2012 R2, 2016, 2019 and 2022
- Read access to the Oracle client folder
- Read/write privileges on the Oracle Home directories that you use for your connections
Note: Toad for Oracle Subscription edition is bundled with Quest Auto Update, a service to periodically check for and deliver product updates. Installation requires administrator privileges on all supported operating systems.
Note: Other functionality in Toad may require additional privileges.