The"QueueMap" "BackupMode true" option is equivalent to running stsam o Backup or the Backup-SPSite Powershell command. It backs up the local site collections content, transports it, and then restores it on the remote farms.
This approach requires the following:
- The target farm must be running the same or a newer version of SharePoint.
- The source and target farms share the same Active Directory domain.
- The target site collection is an exact match of the source. i.e., you're not skipping events with rules or changing permissions on the target.
- One way replication from the primary site collection to the DR site collection. This command completely overwrites the DR site collection with the contents and settings from the primary one.
- Per Microsoft, the recommended maximum size for a site collection backup is 15 GB in SharePoint 2007 and 85 GB in SharePoint 2010.
- Per Microsoft, the site collection will be set to read-only for the duration of the backup to reduce the potential for user activity during the backup operation to corrupt the backup.
SharePoint 2010 allows you to use the '-UseSGLSnapshot' switch with the Backup-SPSite command. This creates a temporary SGL database that only holds the one site collection and performs the site collection backup against that database so that users can continue to use the actual site collection while the backup is running. This is actually the MS preferred method for backups. It could be useful if this option was included with the Replicator backup command.
For more information about this command, see the Replicator Command-Line Reference.