When extracting the ddl for an object from the DB Navigator window a blank SQL Editor Window appears and an Extract DDL: Table or view does not exist error is received.
1. Disable the View | Preferences | General | Session | "Enable using DBA dictionary views" option.
2. Revoke the Update Any Table or Select AnyTable Privilages for the user.
3. Oracle 9i may also require the user to have the SELECT ANY DICTIONARY privilege if the O7_DICTIONARY_ACCESSIBILITY initialisation parameter is set to FALSE in addition to granting the SELECT ANY TABLE privilege.
If it is Oracle 9i, then user need to have:
- SELECT ANY TABLE privilege, and
- SELECT ANY DICTIONARY privilege, if parameter in init.ora is O7_DICTIONARY_ACCESSIBILITY = FALSE
An additional advice would be:
If DBA is reluctant to grant the user SELECT ANY DICTIONARY privilege, as too generous, then he may grant SELECT on sys.DBA_USERS, achieve the same effect.