During VCB backup of a virtual machine with vss-based application the below error occurs and the job fails:
Job Message 2010/04/22 09:38:06 250 Data Plugin PCH-NETVAULT Guest within VM 'SQLSERVER2' uuid '5000a201-cdaf-6a94-16e2-2f769021f09c' will not be quiesced
This is then followed by the following message:
Fatal error: Backup Failed.
The user has enabled vss-based Application Quiescing but did not insert the login details required for the guest VM which is being backed up.
1) On the Guest VM (that it is being backed) make sure that Microsoft Volume Shadow is installed and running or set to automatic.
2) Open Netvault Backup - expand the VCB proxy client, expand the vmware plugin to the esx server level. Right click on the esx server , select "edit server" and insert login details.
3) Right click again on the esx server and select set backup preferences. Note that you can also do this at the VM level if you wish these preferences to apply only at that particular host.
4) Select the "Use Volume shadow Copy Service
5) Insert the login details and OK.
6) Run the backup job again. It should complete successfully.