How Do I Configure AD To Replicate an AD Attribute to the Global Catalog?
If the AD attribute you want to use for the AD Object Merging Wizard is not among the 26 defaults, you can add one or more other attributes to the list by defining each addition in the Global Defaults or Task Parameters. This procedure is explained elsewhere in the Quest Notes Migrator for Exchange 4.1 User Guide (see How Do I Add to the List of AD Attributes Available for the Merge Function?).
Any AD attribute added to the list must be replicated to the Global Catalog, or the merge function will fail. You can configure AD to replicate an AD attribute to the Global Catalog as explained below. Before you begin this procedure, be sure to see Microsoft's notes and cautions on this subject at:
Caution: This procedure manipulates AD configuration parameters, and an error could generate adverse consequences throughout the Active Directory environment. Use extreme caution whenever manipulating AD configuration parameters in this way.
To configure AD to replicate an AD attribute to the Global Catalog:
1. At a computer where you can manage your Active Directory, open a command prompt and enter:
2. Launch the Microsoft Management Console (mmc.exe).
3. On the File menu, select Add/Remove Snap-in.
4. Click Add, select Active Directory Schema, click Add, and then return to the main window.
5. Click Attributes, and wait for the list to expand.
6. Find the name of the attribute you want to replicate, then right-click it and select Properties.
7. Select Replicate the attribute to the Global Catalog, and click OK.
8. Wait for the Global Catalog to replicate the attribute.