How does Quest Migration Manager (QMM) for Exchange handle mail enabled status of source public folders during migration to the target environment?
In Exchange 5.5, all public folders were mail-enabled. By default, their Exchange Directory objects were hidden and created in the Recipients container. In Exchange 2000/2003, folders can be mail-enabled or not mail-enabled, depending on whether the Exchange organization is in mixed mode or native mode.
Mixed Mode: Mail-enabled. Hidden from Address Book.
Native Mode: Not mail-enabled. Can be mail-enabled, and is visible to Address Book by default.
QMM does not synchronize e-mail addresses for public folders, but it can synchronize folder mail-enabled status. This does not guarantee that the target folder will have the same e-mail address as the source. The target folder's address depends on the Recipient Update Service (RUS), which is responsible for generating e-mail addresses for Exchange 2000/2003 recipients. However in most cases RUS will generate primary SMTP address according to the folder's name and if this were not changed in the source the prefix will remain the same.
The behavior of QMM is determined by the SyncMailEnabled parameter in source and target public folder agents configuration file config.ini:
- SyncMailEnabled=2 (Default) Target folders are mail-enabled only if folders are visible in the source GAL (Global Address List)
- SyncMailEnabled =1 All target folders are mail-enabled
- SyncMailEnabled =0 All target folders are NOT mail-enabled
In order to set this parameter for all agents:
1. In Project Manager, select Tools | Options and select the Additional parameters for agent configuration files node.
2. Click Add, to add the following parameter: Name: SyncMailEnabled, Value: please refer to the description above.
3. From the drop down list select Quest Public Folder Source Agent.
4. Repeat step 1 and select Quest Public Folder Target Agent from the drop down list.
1. "Advanced parameters for the agents" page is not available by default. To make it available, on the console computer, add the following registry value:
Path: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Aelita\Migration Manager\CurrentVersion\Exchange Data\
If the console is on a 64-bit system then the registry would be HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Aelita\Migration Manager\CurrentVersion\Exchange Data
2. This functionality works only when the public folder synchronization agents create a new folder. Thus, it does not affect synchronization of folders that have already been synchronized. For an existing job, it will affect only new folders created within the job's scope. If the synchronization has already created folders on the target, these cannot be mail enabled later. Another method of mail enabling these must be implemented outside the QMM software.
Applies to all versions of Quest Migration Manager for Exchange 8.9 and below.