Get Live Help
A very large mailbox needs to be exported from the archive, such as a journal mailbox
PST Exports from Metalogix Archive Manager are failing for large mailboxes
If a very large mailbox needs to be exported to PSTs from the archive, this will often need to be done in parts. Metalogix Archive Manager and the programming language it is based on can experience problems with very large search results and export tasks. To account for this the support team has developed a tool called the CSVtoXML Tool. Please contact support to get a copy of the tool.
1. After receiving the CSVtoXML tool from support, you will need to extract the tool to a location on the archive server and run the tool As Administrator. This tool must always be run As Administrator
2. When you first run the tool, it will need to be configured for your environment. To do this, select the Menu in the top left corner of the application and select Setup Wizard
3. On the first page of the setup wizard, click both Get buttons to allow the tool to read the Archive Manager SQL database configuration. After clicking both Get buttons, click Test to test the connection
3a. If you receive an error from the test that states Keyword not supported:'datatypecompatability' click OK and remove the "DataTypeCompatability=80" portion of the SQL string. This should allow the wizard test to complete successfully
4. After the test is successful, click OK and Next in the wizard. On page 2 of the setup click the Get button to read the PST Export folder location and click Finish.
These steps will guide you through exporting the entire contents of a mailbox using default options. Options such as the Split CSV number, PST size, root folder, etc can be modified if desired. Please be aware that increasing number values could cause problems with the exports, and if you experience issues we recommend using the defaults instead.
1. Get the Mailbox ID number for the mailbox you wish to export from the archive. The easiest way to get this is to open the properties of the mailbox in the Archive Manager Address Book under the Mailboxes tab. The number displayed next to the user's name is the Mailbox ID, which is how Archive Manager references the mailbox.
2. Open the CSVtoXML tool on the archive server As Administrator
3. In the tool, enter the Mailbox ID number in the Mailboxes tab. After entering the number click Create CSV and allow the tool to scan the archive database. Please note that depending on the size of the mailbox this process could take some time to complete.
4. After the Create CSV has finished, you can split large CSV under the second section. This step is optional and typically can be skipped.
5. Once the CSV collection ready, select CSV to XML under section 3
6. After the CSV to XML process has completed, click Inject under section 4
7. After the injection has completed you will be prompted to restart the MAM Exchange Manager service. Select Yes
Note: This will terminate any console sessions currently open
After the tasks have been created and injected into Archive Manager, they can be run by opening the Metalogix Archive Manager console and going to Tools -> Export Tasks
To run an export task, right click the task and go to Tasks -> Start Task.
Note: We do not recommend running more than 3 tasks simultaneously as this usually is too much for the SQL server to handle and slows performance.