The following error is produced when trying to update the license key provided:
"The company name does not match the one previously used to register the product."
Follow the below instructions to remove any remnants of a previously registered license key:
For SQL Server 2000:
1. Select Start | Programs | Microsoft SQL Server | Query Analyzer.
2. On the Connect to SQL Server dialog, specify the SQL Server hosting the MessageStats database and then click the OK button.
3. Select the MessageStats database from the Database selection drop down list on the Menu Bar.
4. Select File | Open and then select the attached script to load.
5. Run the command by selecting the Execute option in the Query menu.
6. After the command has completed, check the General Message bar to see if the "Query batch completed" message is displayed. This indicates that the SQL script was successfully executed.
7. Delete the License.bin file under the Program Files\Quest Software\MessageStats directory on the Console System.
8. Select Start | Program Files | Quest Software | Messagestats | Register to register MessageStats with the new license key.
9. Enter the license key (for trial keys the company name Quest Software Inc (Demo) should already be filled in).
10. Click on register.
For MSDE 2000:
Open a command prompt window and type the following command, replacing the SQLServerName with the actual NETBIOS Name of the SQL Server hosting the MessageStats Database:
osql -d MessageStats -Q "update t_configuration set licencefile = null" -E -S SQLServerName