NET.exe is a powerful and versatile command available on all versions of Windows that allows, among many other things, command line access to local group configuration on your workstations. The proper syntax for use with the NET.exe command can be viewed by typing the following at a command prompt on the workstation:
NET LOCALGROUP /?
This will display the arguments and switches that are available for use with NET.exe on the version of Windows being used. For example, on a Windows 2000 workstation if the domain group "MISGroup" needs to be added to the local Administrators group of the workstation, then the following commend is entered at a command prompt:
NET localgroup Administrators /add "domain\MISGroup"
Create an entry on the Application Launcher object to launch the NET.exe command with the necessary arguments to add your domain group to a local group of your workstations.
1. Open the Manager and navigate to the Application Launcher object.
2. Press Add to add a new entry.
3. Configure your entry with the following settings:
Arguments: localgroup Administrators /add "domain\MISGroup"
4. Since a normal user does not have access to make changes to local group membership on the workstation, be sure to check the box "Run as Administrator".
5. "Hide any screen output" may be selected so there is no command window flashed on the screen to the user during execution.
6. Configure the appropriate Validation Logic then Save & Replicate the changes.
Note: In order to utilize the “Run as Administrator” function, the domain admin account that is being used by the ScriptLogic service must already be a member of the local administrators group of the client machine.
Note: When deploying groups in different operating system languages, make the adjustment in the Arguments section that defines the group name in the language of the operating system that Desktop Authority client runs on.
In English: adding localgroup Administrators /add "Your Domain Name\ Administrator Group”
In German: adding localgroup Administrators /add " Your Domain Name\ Administrator Gruppe”
In Spanish: adding localgroup Administrators /add " Your Domain Name\ Grupo de Administradores”
In French: adding localgroup Administrators /add " Your Domain Name\ Groupe d'Administrateurs”
In Italian: adding localgroup Administrators /add " Your Domain Name\ Gruppo di Amministratori”n