Cannot perform administrative operations such as create user, view properties, etc on AD objects
- DE1198 RSAT Tools Dialogs Do Not Work On Win7 or Vista 64bit
When using Windows Vista or Windows 7 64bit operating systems you may experience problems when trying to perform some of the following operations on Active Directory objects.
Create shared folder
View user, computer or group properties
The problem is related to the installation of the Microsoft RSAT tools. When RSAT is installed on Windows Vista 64bit or Windows 7 64bit, the adprop.dll.mui and dsadmin.dll.mui files are not installed in the %WinDir%\SysWow64Folder. This is a known issue from Microsoft that is explained in the following KB article.
To fix this issue follow the steps listed below (these steps are also listed in the article above but are only for Windows Vista).
1. Download the x86 version of the RSAT install package from the MS download site:
Windows Vista and Windows 7:
2. Create a local directory and save the file to your machine.
3. Use the Expand command to extract the CAB file from the MSU package following the instructions documented in the KB:
4. Look for the CAB cabinet file in your expansion directory. You should see two, one with the KB article in the title one that starts with WSUSSCAN.CAB. Use the cab file with the KB number in it.
The mui files required to make Active Administrator work are dsadmin.dll.mui and adprop.dll.mui. You now use the expand command to extract just that MUI file from the CAB file. The command line will look something like:
expand -F:adprop.dll.mui <Path_to_CAB_File_Extracted_From_MSU_File> <Path_To_Directory_To_Expand_MUI_File>
expand -F:dsadmin.dll.mui <Path_to_CAB_File_Extracted_From_MSU_File> <Path_To_Directory_To_Expand_MUI_File>
After executing these commands, locate the dsadmin.dll.mui and adprop.dll.mui files. Copy these files to the <Windows Install Directory>\SysWoW64\en-US