Tracking log task depends on successful completion of a successful Organization Structure, Exchange Mail Enabled Objects, Custom Recipients, Distribution Lists, Information Store, and Mailbox gatherings for the same Exchange organization.
When you create Tracking Log gathering task on an Exchange Organization:
- Task Sources instance is launched and it creates Tracking Log Expansion task instance for each server in the organization and one instance of a report Aggregation task.
- Tracking Log Expansion: It scans for tracking logs in local directory at $\Quest Software\MessageStats\Tracking Logs\ and the server share \\server-name\MessageTracking. If tracking log files are found then it creates another 3 tasks for the server in question. These tasks are Tracking Log Copy, Exchange 2007/2010 Tracking Log and Tracking Log Archive.
- Tracking Log Copy: It copies the tracking logs from the Server share to local share. i.e \\server-name\MessageTracking to $\Quest Software\MessageStats\Tracking Logs
- Tracking Log Archieve: It deletes the tracking logs from the local share. If Archiving feature for tracking log is enabled for this server then the tracking logs will be compressed and copied to the Archive share.
- Archiving can be enabled before creating tracking log task as follows: Right click on Exchange Organizations, click Properties and specify the Archive share. Then right click on Organization, go to Tracking Logs tab and click on configure button. Select the servers from the list and click Ok.
- Report Aggreation task: This is the last task that runs in any gathering and it calculates and updates the aggregates and rollups.