Open a 'Cross-Connection SQL Editor' or a 'Cross Connection Query Builder' and drag tables from my Oracle database into it to create a select-statement.
Execute the query, and the following error is received:
"Got error 4206 'Invalid data source definition: Data source name not found and no default driver specified' from HUB"
1. The Microsoft ODBC driver does not work well with the Oracle OCI client.
2. Oracle Instant Client being used does not come with ODBC drivers.
Edit your connections to use the Oracle ODBC driver. Install an Oracle ODBC Driver. The Oracle Client 'Full' install includes an ODBC driver.
If you are using an Oracle 'Instant Client', you must install an Oracle ODBC driver before using this connection in a cross-connection query. Please note that Oracle does not seem to have standalone ODBC drivers. It appear ODBC drivers are embedded with Oracle application downloads. For quicker resolution, it is better to just download and install a Full Oracle Client.
For one user report, changing the default Oracle Client Home on their PC to a 'full' client instead of an Instant Client resolved the error.
1. In the 'Navigation Manager' of Toad, under the Oracle node, right-click on your Oracle connection and select 'Properties'.
2. Click on the 'Advance' tab.
3. In the 'ODBC Driver' drop-down tab choose 'Oracle in OraClient_home'