When trying to carry over connection passwords from Toad for Oracle 9.x install to a new install (version 10.x or newer) the files CONNECTIONS.INI and CONNECTIONPWDS.INI are both moved over togehter. While the connection history carries over without issue but the passwords aren't carried over. The following message is given when starting up Toad.
"Invalid file, C:\Documents and Settings\<Your_User>\Application Data\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle\11.6\User Files\CONNECTIONPWDS.INI. This file cannot be shared among different users for security reasons. Passwords will not be loaded, and file will be replaced."
The encryption of the password file changed between versions. Depending on what version of Toad the password file was writen in, and depending on what version of Toad the files are being moved to, the passwords may not be carried over.
In addition, the file is also encrypted based on Windows environment information and/or Windows user information for security purposes (to prevent your passwords from being decrypted by other users / computers) .
The cause of the error may or may not be specific to an attempt to move passwords between different users.
For version prior to 10.x. The password file (CONNECTIONPWDS.INI ) could be copied from one version to the next as long as it's on the same PC. For version 10.x and higher you can copy the password from one PC to the next as long as it's for the same Windows user.
If the two Toad versions are on two separate PCs, you can do the following:
1. Install Toad 10.6 on the same PC as the 9.1.
2. Check the option to "Save Password", make one connection, and exit Toad.
3. Then copy the files (CONNECTIONS.INI and CONNECTIONPWDS.INI ) from your Toad 9.1 over to the 10.6 version.
4. Launch Toad for Oracle 10.6.1, make a connection and exit Toad.
5. Now you can copy the files (CONNECTIONS.INI and CONNECTIONPWDS.INI ) from your 10.6 on you old PC to the new PC with only the Toad 10.6 install.
If there are too many versions apart, it is possible the password file cannot be carried over at all.
For version 11.x the password file from older version, 9.6 and older, cannot be carried over.