Date - JUN 08
Affected Product Version - NVBU 8.x
Affected Module & Version - N/A
OS Version - All
Application Information - N/A
Description: To preserve the NetVault configuration, jobs and backup indexes, a NetVault database should be performed regularly. If the NetVault server were to fail, a NetVault database restore could be performed to recover the NetVault system. A NetVault database backup should always be performed prior to an NetVault Software update.
1. From the NetVault Server (either locally or remotely), open the NetVault
Backup window by clicking the Backup button on the command toolbar (or by selecting Backup from the Operations pull-down menu). The NetVault Backup window will display the list of available Clients in the Selections tab.
2. Right-click on the NetVault Server (acting as a Client to itself) and select Open from the pop-up menu.
3. The available plugins will be displayed. Right-click on the NetVault Databases Plugin and select Open from the pop-up menu that appears (or double-click on it) to open it.
4. A single selectable item, the NetVault Database, will be revealed. Click in the checkbox to the left of this item to select it.
5. Click on the Backup Options tab to set the NVDB check options. The
following two fields will be displayed:
a. Check database tables before backup: This option, selected by default, will perform an integrity check of Scheduler and Media databases before backing them up. If no integrity checks are to be performed, deselect this option.
b. Compact database tables after backup: With this option selected, the
plugin will attempt to remove the corrupt records identified during the
integrity checks and compact the database.
6. The remaining tab selections (e.g., Schedule, Target and Advanced
Options) contain additional options that can be set as desired. These options are consistent throughout all plugins and APMs in NetVault (for more information on these tabs, please see the sections, The Schedule Tab of Chapter 5 on page 147; The Target Tab of Chapter 5 on page 148 and The Advanced Options Tab of Chapter 5 on page 152 of http://docs.bakbone.com/docs/NetVault_Backup_Administrators_Guide_v8_2_2_English.pdf
***NOTE*** The NetVault Database backup should be run ONLY at a time when NetVault is running no other backups. It needs to run independently.
7. Enter a suitable name for the job in the Job Title box and start the backup job by clicking the Submit button on the command toolbar.
As mentioned, with the NVDB check enabled a severe error might cause
backup failure or warning messages to be displayed. The logs pertaining to the NVDB integrity checks can be viewed from the NetVault Logs window.