Title: How to add slots to an existing Virtual Library (version 7.4 and higher)
Date: Feb 08
Product & Version: 7.4 and higher
OS Version: All
Module & Version: N/A
Application version: N/A
Description: This document details the steps required to add slots to an existing virtual library on Netvault:Backup version 7.4 and higher
1. Using Device Management unload all the drives (right click 'unload') which effectively moves all media into slots so your drives are empty.
2. Blank a piece of media that is not required, return it to its slot and remember which slot it is in. You will need this number for the steps below.
3. Shut down the Netvault service.
4. Navigate to where the VTL physically resides and open the "media" directory.
5. For each new piece of media you wish to add copy the blank piece from step 2 and rename it ensuring you keep the numbering sequence going.
6. Navigate to the "slots" directory.
7. For each new slot (the same number as the pieces of media you want to add in step 5) copy one of the other directories and rename it, again ensuring you keep the numbering sequence going. (The reason for copying the directories is that each directory contains a ".media" file).
8. Enter each new "slots" directory and edit the ".media" file contained within to point to the correct path for that piece of media. For example for slot 20 the .media file may contain the path C:\VTL\media\J1PUT020. If you are adding slot 21 the .media file would contain C:\VTL\media\J1PUT021.
9. Start the Netvault service.
10. Bring up the Device Management screen.
11. You will now find that Netvault will automatically display the new slots and they contain blank media ready for use.
Version française disponible ID
Deutsche Version verfügbar ID