Date: Nov 2007
Product & Version: NetVault:Backup 7.1.2 Upwards.
Module & Version:
OS Version: All.
Description: Incremental Backup failed with a "Failed to find previous full backup for set" error.
Symptoms: You will probably see the following errors within the Binary Log...
1] Error 2007/10/25 00:00:01 66 Jobs nvserver Failed to read backup index
2] Error 2007/10/25 00:00:01 66 Data Plugin nvserver Failed to find previous full backup for set
With sub text:
A full backup needs to have been performed with the chosen selection set before an incremental backup is possible. Incremental backups must always use the same selection set as the full backup on which they are based.
3] Error 2007/10/25 00:00:01 66 Jobs nvserver Fatal error: Backup Failed
This error could have been generated for the following reasons...
- Full Backup hasn't run.
- Full Backup failed.
- Full backup has expired
- Backup Selection Set wasn't saved.
- Two of the same Selection Sets have been created, which will in turn confuse NetVault.
For Incremental Backups to work successfully, perform the following steps:
1) Create new Full Backup Selection Set and save it with a Backup Selection Set name.
2) Run the new Full backup and confirm it has run and completed successfully.
3) Create a new Incremental backup, based upon the new Full Backup Selection Set name.
4) Now run the new Incremental backup.
Once the Full and Incremental Backups have been successfully completed, you should be able to see both of the Savesets listed within the Restore window.