Date - 04/2010
Affected Product & Version - NetVault: Backup 8.5.x
Affected Module & Version - Vmware 1.2.1
OS Version - Windows
During a VCB backup of a virtual machine with vss-based Application quiescing the user get the below error even though they have applied the backup preferences on the host/or the esx server.
Error 2010/04/29 10:19:51 461 Data Plugin PCH-NETVAULT Failed to quiesce the guest within VM 'MANAGEMENT01' uuid '5000238f-a4da-45a3-89fd-42dd87634869'
If you open the log context message the following appears:
VMWBCKUP:0264 83 0 91951 VM is being managed by ESX server of version 213532
VMWBCKUP:0264 58 0 91951 Failed to retrieve login details for host '44454c4c-3000-1030-8057-b1c04f59334a
To get around this issue do the following:
1) On the Guest VM (that it is being backedp) make sure that Micorosoft Volume Shadow is installed and running or set to automatic.
2) Open Netvault Backup - expand the VCB proxy client, expand the vmware plugin to the esx server level. Right click on the esx server , select "edit server" and insert login details.
3) Right click again on the esx server and select set backup preferences. Note that you can also do this at the VM level if you wish these preferences to apply only at that particular host.
4) Select the "Use Volume shadow Copy Service
5) Insert the login details and OK.
Run the backup job again.
Please refer to the text above