Date – 03/2010
Affected Product & Version – NetVault: Backup 8.5 and greater
Affected Module & Version – n/a
OS Version – all
Application Information – n/a
When the preferred network address (a configuration parameter) of a NetVault client or server becomes unavailable, it will switch automatically to another contact address, if one is available. When the preferred address becomes available again, NetVault will not automatically switch back.
To force NVBU Server to use the preferred addresses, do one of the following:
a. Remove the Client and add it again as described below:
1. On the NVBU Console, open the NVBU Client Management window.
2. Under Clients, right-click the NVBU Client and select Remove or Force Remove.
3. Under Available NVBU Machines, right-click the NVBU Client and select Remove. A Background Message “Machine Has Gone Down” is written to the NVBU Logs when the Client is removed.
4. Wait until the timeout for remote connection expires as determined by the value set for the Time to Complete Remote Connection parameter. This parameter is set to 5 minutes by default. A Background Message “Machine Has Come Up” is written to the NVBU Logs when the Client is detected on the network.
5. Enter the NVBU Client's preferred address in the Machine Name or IP Address box under Find NVBU Machine, and click Find.
6. Add the Client to the NVBU Server. For details on adding a Client, refer to the NetVault: Backup Administrator’s Guide.
b. Disable or disconnect the network interface currently in use until the timeout for remote connection expires. The value set for the Time to Complete Remote Connection parameter determines the duration for which the network interface must be disabled or disconnected. Restart the NVBU Service when the Client is reported as unavailable.