Affected NV Version: 7.4.x
OS Version: Any
Plugin version: Database
In the event that you lose your NetVault Database and recover a backup of it, NetVault will be unable to accurately report back the amount of space available on a virtual tape that contains backup job(s) that had the Software Compression functionality enabled (i.e., the tape will not be automatically scanned by the NetVault Device Manager
-- The drive housing the media will be labeled as'Waiting for Media', and
eventually time out, failing the job. This only appears to be an issue when the job targeting this type of media also has the Software Compression functionality enabled.
As a work around, you can perform either of the following:
Disable Software Compression and Re-launch the Job - In this instance, NetVault will perform the automatic scan of the media and use it accordingly.
Manually Scan the Target Media - From the Device Management window, perform a full Scan of all of the media currently present in the Virtual Library. If you have already encountered this issue, the media may appear as if it has vanished from the Virtual Library.
In this case, follow these steps:
1. Select the Media Request tab
2. Locate the request in the window and right-click on it.
3. Select the Hold command from the pop-up menu.
4. Return to the Devices tab and perform a full Scan of the VDL (i.e., right -click on the VDL node
and select the Scan command). The media will be returned to the drive.
5. Return to the Media Request tab, and take the Media Request off of Hold.