Date: Mar 2009
Product & Version: NVBU 8.x
OS Version: Any
Module & Version:
After a job has finished (either completed or has been aborted), the device still shows in device management as "writing", and cannot be used for other jobs.
1) On the Netvault machine which the device is attached to (note this can be the server or a smart client) navigate to the ~netvault/bin directory
2) Run the program nvpview (the server needs to be able to display GUI windows to run this)
3) In the top pane of the nvpview, identify the nvdevmgr process for the device that is locked as writing (the name of the drive is included in the process name).
4) Click the "Kill Hard" button. Make sure that the correct process is killed, as killing an active backup's device manager will cause the job to fail.
5) Killing the device process will cause it to be relaunched cleanly.
6) If this does not work then a restart of the Netvault process on the server where the device is attached.
In some instances (particularly on busy servers) the job completion status is not communicated to the device manager, leaving it in an incorrect state.