NetVault Backup has an option to send a SCSI signal to tape drives requesting to set the hardware compression to ON, OFF, or LEAVE ALONE.
However, any settings that you might have physically configured on the Tape Drive (i.e. through DIP switches) will always override the software settings.
1) Open the NetVault GUI
2) Click on Device Management.
3) Right click on the Library and choose "Modify".
4) Click on the "Configure" tab when this Window opens.
5) Right click the drive, and choose "Configure".
6) Click on the "Configuration" on the new Window
7) Use the Drop Down arrow to set the Compression ON, OFF, or LEAVE ALONE
8) Repeat steps 5,6 and 7 above for each one of the drives that you want to configure, if you have more than one drive.
This is how NetVault sends the “Hardware Compression" signals to the tape Drives. However, if the Library/Drives are not configured for harware compression, these software commands will be ignored and the hardware rules enforced.
Please refer to the text above
BakBone SFDC Solution Number: 00002165