1) What happens you try to add them by IP address?
Please confirm that the following are working:
2) From server: ping of client hostname, nslookup of client IP address
3) From client: ping of server hostname, nslookup of server IP address
(N.B. nslookup may not be installed on some Linux systems, but it is necessary, in order to confirm that DNS is working)
If so, please supply:
4) host name & NetVault name of the NetVault server
5) host name & NetVault name of the clients
6) ~/nv/etc/machines.dat from each machine (labelled as to which is which)
7) ~/nv/config/nvnmgr.cfg from server
8) if there is a firewall between the two machines, nv/config/firewall.cfg from each machine (labelled as to which is which) & use attached FAQ (firewall spreadsheet) to work out how many ports you need to open
9) ~/nv/configclientlist.txt from the server
10) how is name resolution done? DNS/WINS/hosts?
11) what user are you logged in to NetVault as? (if you have a restricted access user, it may be that the user is only permitted to access certain client groups)
12) can you add clients using this workaround?
NetVault Client Management | Client Groups tab | right-click some group (create a test group if necessary) – can you see and add the missing clients here?
Please refer to the text above