Can an In-place MessageStats upgrade take place and placing install files to a different install location at the same time?
It appears that an in-place MessageStats upgrade (version 6.5 to 6.6) to a different install directory leaves files behind in the \Program Files\Quest Software\MessageStats folder after uninstall. Future MessageStats installs will then fail to register DLLs whose previous versions were left behind.
If there is a requirement to change the install location then in-place upgrades should be avoided.
Perform the following:
1. Manually uninstall MessageStats.
2. Move the \Program Files\Quest Software\MessageStats folder (and its subfolders) to the desired install directory. This will ensure that their task and application data will be preserved.
3. Finally, install the new version of MessageStats to the location of the moved folder
If an in-place upgrade and moving files to a different install location has already taken place and there are issues encountered then the old install needs to be cleaned up:
1. Clear the QMS registry. Remove any references to MessageStats in the registry
2. Clean up the Program Files directories. This means moving the files that are normally left behind after uninstall to their new location
3. Delete the files that should have been removed by the uninstall