Certain keyboard keys bring up unexpected windows or messages when typing in the editor.
1. In one case, when in the editor, every time the 's' is typed, the message, "no SQL to add" comes up.
2. In another case, typing the letter 'r' does not do anything. No 'r' is displayed, or any window pops up when it is typed.
Keyboard shortcut key settings for Toad have have been accidentally set or changed.
1. In this case, the "Add to <Named/Personal> SQLs" shortcut was set to the letter "s".
2. The letter 'r' may have been assigned to a shortcut key that has no visible affect.
In general, the Toolbar/Menus | Shortcut settings in Toad Options can be customized. Go to View | Toad Options | Toolbar/Menus | Shortcuts, find the command that comes up, or find the keyboard shortcut that has been accidentally set and adjust as necessary.
Be careful on this screen because once a command is highlighted, it is can easily be set to anything clicked on the keyboard. There is also the option to 'reset current' or 'reset all to default'.
In this case 1:
1. Go to View | Toad Options | Toolbar/Menus | Shortcuts.
2. In the grid, under the "Category" column, find the section of "Editor".
3. Look for the commands in the "Commands" column, "Add to Named SQLs" and "Add to Personal SQLs".
4. One of them may have a "Shortcut" set to 's'. If it is, select/highlight that command, then click delete on keyboard. This will remove 's' as the setting.
5. Click Apply or Ok to the options window to save this change.
In case 2 where there is no obvious relation to a shorcut action:
1. Go to View | Toad Options | Toolbar/Menus | Shortcuts
2. Sort the 'Shortcut' column and scroll down until the letter is found that is problematic
3. Highlight the row and click 'Reset current' button