What steps are needed when moving Foglight (FMS) to a different hardware (migrate the FMS from one server to another)?
When changing the FMS host name, IP address or both and moving the FMS database.
What is needed to be done on the Foglight Agent Manager to get them to point to the new FMS host name or IPaddress?
What if the Foglight external database is being moved?
Note: If the FMS host name is going to change, you may need to obtain a new Foglight license (not needed if only IP address change). To obtain a new Foglight license, email email@example.com with your contact and site ID information along with an explanation of what you are trying to do.
Move Unix/Linux based FMS:
1. Stop the FMS and back up the $FMS_Home directory (this directory includes the embedded database if applicable)
2. Restore the $FMS_Home to the new server to whatever drive/directory you wish. See note below about updating startup files.
NOTE: If the directory structure/path where the newly restored FMS resides does not match the previous directory structure/path, you must update the /fms_home/bin/ fmsStartup.sh and fmsShutdown.sh script files (if they are being used) to reflect the new directory path.
3. You can skip this step if you're not using embedded MySQL or PostgreSQL database. Make sure the embedded database is not started, in order to do this run "ps -ef ｜ grep -i Foglight" and verify if you see any line that mention the embedded database (mysql or postgres) if the database is still running go to the bin folder in the foglight home directory and run "$FMShome/bin/shutdownDb.sh".
4. Start FMS with "$FMS_Home/bin/fmsStartup.sh"
5. Once it's started, log in and install new Foglight license (if FMS hostname has changed)
6. Verify that Foglight Agent Manager are connecting and agents are starting up.
NOTE: If FMS hostname has changed, each FglAm client fglam.config.xml file will require a change to connect to the 'new' FMS hostname.
7. Verify no host name or IP address related errors are seen in the FMS logs ($FMS_Home/logs/) as a result of the move.
Move Windows based FMS:
1. Stop the FMS and back up the $FMS_Home directory (this directory includes the embedded database if applicable).
2. Restore the $FMS_Home to the new server to whatever drive/directory you wish. See note A below about updating startup files. If directly copying from source to target, we recommend to use Robocopy to avoid errors such as "File name(s) would be too long for the destination folder". When running Robocopy, be sure to run it on a command prompt that is opened as "Run as administrator".
NOTE: Windows has a limitation where the entire path to a file cannot be over 255 characters. Microsoft has a command line copy program named "Robocopy" which can copy files without this limitation. Robocopy will accept UNC pathnames including UNC pathnames over 256 characters long.
robocopy \\sourcehost\Quest_Software\Foglight E:\Quest_Software\Foglight /E /ZB /V /COPYALL /DCOPY:DAT /LOG:"E:\Quest_Software\log.txt" /TEE
3. Start up the FMS - from $FMS_Home\bin run: fms.exe -s
4. Once it is started, log in and install new Foglight license (if FMS hostname has changed)
5. Verify that Foglight Agent Manager are connecting and agents are starting up
6. Verify no hostname or IP address related errors are seen in the FMS logs ($FMS_Home\logs\) as a result of the move.
7. May want to install Foglight as a Windows Service on the new server. To do so, run command line command
then configure the service from Windows Services (services.msc)
8. The shortcuts that exist on the old Windows FMS location can be copied over and the paths changed to point to the correct location of the FMS
9. Be aware that when upgrading this newly moved Foglight FMS, a Windows registry entry will be missing that tells a Foglight installer that a current Foglight install exists. Please point the Foglight installer to the existing Foglight FMS home directory.
10. Please also verify the firewall setting on new FMS server. Make sure all requested port are open between FglAM and new FMS server
If the FMS hostname/ IP address has changed, change the FMS' embedded (or externally moved) FglAM "fglam.config.xml" file so it does not start up and check into the FMS using the old FMS/FglAM hostname:
If the FMS hostname/IP address changes, the existing FglAM needs to the new location.
For this procedure see solution 50479
Check the Foglight Server URL Registry Variable
Once the FMS has been moved and is up and running, a Foglight registry variable needs to be changed so the server knows the URL has changed.
Foglight External Backend Database move:
If moving a FMS external backend database, combine this solution also with the changes needed in solution 42249
Client Side changes:
If the IP Address and/or host name of the FMS is going to change, client side configuration changes may be needed to have the clients point to the new FMS location. See solution 50479
Changing spid or FglAM host name or IP address how