We noticed the body of our emails were not migrating properly on one migration workstation.
The Double Byte Characters were migrated as question marks.
Also certain composed/received emails which were migrated to Exchange emails and had a Euro symbol in the body of the email have not copied across 100%. Instead – as soon as the email hits as Euro symbol it appears to remove the remainder of the email.
Email in Lotus Notes body before conversion = The price in € 87,000 did not match match the same in sterling.
Email after migration to Outlook = The price in
Also – Each time CMTe found a pound sign £ - it changed it to a #.
We noticed the migration is successful if we migration to a PST file, but not to the Exchange server.
Is there a setting which needs to be set within the CMTe product ?
This is not an issue with our application. There is an issue with the migration workstation. One or more of the following steps will correct the problem.
1. Make sure your machine is configured per our requirements:NM: Installation Requirements - Additional Info
2. Confirm Outlook version and updates meet our product requirements for your specified version of our product.
3. The MAPI profile may have become corrupt. Run fixmapi, or delete the profile and add a new CMTe MAPI profile.
4. Delete the BTmail.box file from the workstation. This database can become corrupt and cause issues with message formatting. CMTe will create a new database at the start of the next migration.
The reason these fixes work is because the DBCS problem is symptomatic of an issue with MAPI on the corrupt migration workstation. MAPI is responsible for the integrity of all message bodies during migration, and is necessary to retain anything more than basic Rich Text Field (RTF) format after migration. The reason this works when migrating to PST, is because MAPI is not used for PST migrations.
1. Applying service packs is standard troubleshooting and should be verified in all cases. This is not specifically MAPI-related, but is necessary anyway.
2. fixmapi.exe is a Microsoft utility that resets the MAPI configuration in Windows, back to it's default. This addresses any possible issues with the MAPI interface between CMTe and Outlook.
3. The btmail.box file is used to export source documents from Notes during migration so that they're translated into standard MAPI format. If this file becomes corrupted, it could easily have an effect on the integrity of migrated data, causing things like loss of formatting, missing HTML signatures and other elements and missing DBCS information resulting in unknown characters. This was the most likely culprit.