With version 8.0 and above of Quest Migration Manager (QMM) for Exchange, the configuration database can now be stored in Microsoft SQL Server 2005.
What is the procedure to migrate the QMM for Exchange database from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005?
To start the process all QMM agents must be stopped, including DSA, MSA, Calendar, Public folders, free/busy, statistics and transmission agents. After the agents are stopped, the QMM console must be shutdown. The database can be moved via native SQL methods from SQL 2000 to the new SQL 2005 server. Once you move the DB make sure you change the settings in QMM to connect to the new SQL 2005 server. Update the Statistics Collection Agent (SCA) if you are using it.
Note: Make sure the QMM service account has all the required permissions in SQL 2005 as it did in SQL 2000. A detailed list can be found within the QMM Quickstart Guide. The orignal SQL 2000 database should be completely backed up before proceeding incase of problems that may occur.
Procedure to migrate the QMM for Exchange database.
1. Stop all of the agents including the Statistics Collection Agent (SCA) since it interacts directly with SQL.
2. Close QMM for Exchange Console.
3. Following Microsoft guidelines, move the database from SQL 2000 server/instance to the new SQL 2005 server/instance.
4. Open the console. Select Project, then Open Project from the toolbar and update the SQL server settings to reflect the new SQL 2005 server/instance information for the database. You should now be able to connect and use the project.
5. Update the Statistics Agent configuration. In the console select the Exchange Data tab, then on left side below the Synchronization Jobs select Statistics. Right click and select Properties and then press OK. This will update the Config.ini which contains then SQL server info that the Statistics Agent uses.
6. Restart SCA and verify correct operation by examining the log file.
7. Restart all agents that were previously stopped.
Please note that QMM for Exchange version 7.5 and below can only use SQL Server 2000.